Sunday, April 18, 2010

New in Town: The Paisley Violin

I knew when I saw the name of this place in a Phoenix guidebook that I needed to go here, if anything because it sounded cool.  The Paisley Violin is located in an up-and-coming artsy district of what I think is considered part of downtown Phoenix.  The cafe/bar features primarily Mediterranean food and live music.  The Friday I happened to venture down there was the First Friday Art Walk night so it was a little crazy since there are art studios behind the Paisley and there was music both indoors and out.  When I got there, I was going to just give up since there were no available tables, but I opted to take a look at the studios and see what some of the locals put out for art.  Glad I did because there is some interesting stuff to be seen in the local market.  I want to go back down to that area now I know where it is because the road this place sits on is action packed with studios and I only went through the ones behind the cafe.

When I finally was able to find a table inside, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the featured musician is someone I was familiar with from an impromptu open mic performance while he passed through Boise.  The musician that night was Sharif from LA and he is fabulous.  He went well with my coffee and appetizer.  He is also easy on the eyes for you ladies in town who want to catch his performance next time he is here (he passes through every couple months).  The atmosphere at the Paisley Violin is very chillaxed and of course, they have local artwork hanging on the walls.  This place was very reminiscent of Seattle for me.  Because it was so crazy busy, the service was a bit slow, but the waiter was so nice (recurring theme in the Valley of the Sun) that I didn't mind.  This was the perfect place for someone to go on their own, enjoy music, and catch up on a book.  I am sure it is also the perfect place to take someone else, but beggar's can't be choosers sometimes.  

At any rate, highly recommending The Paisley Violin on a Friday for live music and interesting conversation.  Will definitely be going here again (especially when Sharif is playing).

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I have been wanting to go there for some time now! I actually have an Entertainment book and there is a "2 for 1" coupon in there for it, which is how it was even brought to my attention. But when I looked it up I wasn't sure it was still open. Definitely have to check it out.