Sunday, March 30, 2008

who to choose? NO ONE!


Hot topic of 2008: the election. Of course, was there ever a doubt? Being the “flaming liberal” Dem fem that I am, I happen to be just as torn as the rest of the nation about who to vote for. Neither Democratic candidate can achieve a full majority vote as of yet. What entails a “majority”? According to Wikipedia it is defined as such:
A majority, also known as a simple majority in the
U.S., is a subset of a group that is more than half of the entire group. This should not be confused with a plurality, which is a subset having the largest number of parts. A plurality is not necessarily a majority, as the largest subset may be less than half of the entire group.
Alrighty, so even though happy-go-lucky Barack is technically ahead he does not possess a high enough percentage to obtain the majority of the votes required to deem him the final presidential candidate. This should make me satisfied as a formerly devout supporter of the Clinton family (go, Hillary!); however, looking at this year’s election just annoys and confuses me. Who is the best candidate? Who should I rally my support for? Who has the most similar stance on important issues that I do?
I consulted Google for some answers. I took a side by side look at the candidates. Nope. That didn’t help as I found myself disagreeing with some major points of my beloved Hillary and shaking my head at Obama’s non-committal idealism.
I resorted to a couple of “Which Candidate Should I Vote For?” quizzes. The first one informed me that my belief system fell in 0% with any of the candidates, both past and present, running for the 2008 ticket. Okay, so that wasn’t very helpful at all or reassuring for that matter. I am now thinking that I may not be part of the norm in my convictions. The second quiz had me falling in line 77% with Obama and 76% with Hillary on the issues. A 1% discrepancy! No wonder why America is confused and neither candidate can gain an actual majority in the primaries.
I guess the best thing to do at this point is to vote for whom you feel would do the best and pray that it all works out in the end. Perhaps I will try the old fashioned flip a coin technique. Ah, you hard core Republicans have it easy this season since your candidate has already been narrowed down to geriatric war vet, McCain. For the rest of us, this will be one of the most interesting Democratic National Conventions ever. I look forward to seeing how this all shapes up come Election Day in November.

No comments: