Sunday, March 30, 2008


I had the opportunity to view the film “Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day” and boy, am I glad I did. I declare Frances McDormand the Queen of Accents. If you didn’t know any better, you would swear she was in fact British or in the case of her role in the movie “Fargo”, a North Dakotan. She played the role of Guinevere Pettigrew perfectly. I must also acknowledge the surprising and rising talent of Amy Adams, who played the role of the starlet Miss Pettigrew teams up with.

The story line is set pre-World War 2 era in London. Miss Pettigrew is a disastrous governess to the point which her employment agency refuses to continue placing her. Out of spite, she steals a job lead from a desk at the agency and sets out to become a “social secretary” to an American starlet. And so the craziness begins. The script is clever, well-written, and absolutely engaging. The cast members were flawless in delivering said script. I would be surprised if this film is not mentioned at some point during awards season. Amy Adams brings an incredible energy to the role of Delysia. I had not seen any of her prior films, but found myself so enamored by her performance that I cannot wait to see where she ends up next.

The movie does have some serious moments throughout although it is comedic overall. The comedy and the dramatic are played equally well though. Overall, I would say this is a delightful show to the point where I will likely own it upon its release to DVD. If it’s playing where you live, you should definitely make a point to see this film. I haven’t been this excited about something I have seen on the big screen in a long time.

No comments: