Sunday, January 23, 2011

Italian Theme Night. . .

In this week's culinary adventure, I decided to go back to my trusty Williams-Sonoma international cookbook to give the Italian section a whirl. The whole idea is to challenge myself during this quest to become a stellar cook so I made a rule for myself that I wouldn't try anything typical or with red/marinara sauce. I needed to step it up a bit for this section because I have already altered my mom's spaghetti sauce "recipe" to the point that it's going to be hard to duplicate and/or top since it's progressively gotten better each time I make it and try something a little different to add flavor. I knew I definitely wanted a dessert, but I couldn't just do dessert and not a main dish because really anything with sugar is good. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I have a sweet tooth so doing just a dessert seemed like kind of a cop out.

I found a dish to try that was similar to something my boyfriend had ordered at a well-renowned restaurant in the area a few weeks back. The dish of choice: Orecchiette with Sausage. Didn't look too hard at first, but then again i have never cooked using sweet Italian sausage or broccoli rabe. I actually had to ask the produce guy which vegetable the broccoli rabe was because I forgot to look up a picture of it online prior to going and making an ass of myself by asking such a question at a store known specifically for their produce. Luckily produce guy was very helpful and even offered tips for sautéing that perhaps I can try another time. The dish involved a lot of multitasking, but realistically you cannot go wrong with something that has melted cheese and olive oil toasted bread crumbs so it was well worth it. So well worth it in fact that the significant other declared it better than the similar dish he had at renowned restaurant, which is why I intentionally left out the name of the place because it has an actual chef on staff that puts a lot of thought into designing seasonal menus using local produce when possible. I liked it okay. It grew on me throughout the meal because it had my favorite spice, red pepper in flake form. I definitely plan to make this dish again, or at least incorporate more dishes with the not-so-mysterious-as-I-initially-thought broccoli rabe.

Even better in my book was my first attempt at making Panna Cotta, garnished with blackberries. This dessert is so easy I wonder why more people don't opt for this over making cheesecake or pies. Seriously, the hardest part was scraping out the vanilla bean pod (resulting in suspicious cut on finger tip that not only did I not feel, but also did not notice until well after the fact). Heavy cream, sugar, milk, vanilla. . . So tasty I opted not to share the extra with the neighbor, giving him some cookies to top off the orecchiette leftovers instead. If i could sustain life off of the panna cotta (and coffee!) I totally would. Deliciousness!


Yeah, so this week I was not as humble about the level of goodness my kitchen experimentations resulted in but sometimes you've got to know when to own your awesomeness and this is one of those times. Alrighty, it's late and I am borderline cocky now, so till next week. . .

No comments: